Monday, June 22, 2009

Time for a Marathon?


So I ran my first half marathon on Saturday! Okay, actually, it was my first race ever. Go big or go home, I guess. Wow..so much to say about it. Where to begin? Let's just start with the fact that during the race I felt I was being tortured by Chinese water droppings, then 5 min after the race was over, I was thinking about my next race.


A couple things I will do differently next time:


  • Wake up early enough. I had to catch the bus to the half at 5:20, so that meant originally waking up at 4 am. Which the night before turned into setting the alarm for 4:30 since I didn't get to bed until 10:30. Hmm..30 min really isn't enough to eat and prep for a race. And it's especially not enough time when you MISPLACE YOUR IPOD. WOW! This coming from the woman who works out sometimes solely to listen to her ipod. So let's just say the morning started out poorly. And I ended up leaving the house at 5:12 still having to drive to catch the bus. 70 mph in a 30 mph is totally safe, no?

  • Lift more weights and/or start doing pilates and/or yoga next time before the race. I had a good pace until mile 9 when my heart and lungs were going strong, but my legs felt like Jell-O.

  • SLEEP. Between race anxiety and external noises, I probabaly slept about 4 hrs. I am no sleep expert, but something tells me that's just not right!

  • Push myself. Running that long is not easy. And part of me wishes I wouldn't have walked so much at the end and just pushed it more. It's so much head games at that point! However, I am happy that I wasn't that sore after the race AT ALL. Until the next day when I was a bit stiff and almost fell out of bed in the morning. No biggie!

Oh, by the way, I did find my ipod. After the race was over. So here is my race day playlist, in memory of not having an ipod during the race:

The Adventure-Angels & Airwaves

Turn Up the Radio-Autograph

Machinehead-Bush

Hustler's Anthem '09 (feat. T-Pain)-Busta Rhymes

Viva la Vida-Coldplay

Love Is Gone (Fred Rister & Joachim Garraud Radio Edit Remix)-David Guetta & Chris Willison

Encore / Curtains Down-Eminem

Calabria 2008 (feat. MIMS & Natasja)-Enur

Eye of the Tiger-Survivor

The Rolling Stones-Give Me Shelter

All my Life-Foo Fighters

Hate it or Love it-The Game

Crazy-Gnarls Barkley

Fool in the Rain-Led Zeppelin

Green Light (feat. André 3000) -John Legend

Flashing Lights-Kanye West

Welcome to the World-Kevin Rudolf & Rick Ross

I Like the Way You Move-Backstage*

*This song is actually WAY better for spinning, but none-the less, just try to not get pumped up from this song!

Love Generation-The Allstars and Bob Sinclair *

*Again, another good spinning song.

Day 'n' Nite (Crookers Remix)-Kid Cudi

Lit Up-Buckcherry

The Resolution-Jack's Mannequin

Poker Face-Lady GaGa

Bia' Bia'-Lil Jon & The Eastside Boyz

Mama Said Knock You Out-LL Cool J

All the Above (feat. T-Pain)-Maino

Enter Sandman-Metallica

Electric Feel-MGMT

Dr. Feelgood-Mötley Crüe D

This Town-O.A.R.

The Anthem (feat. Lil Jon)-Pitbull

Patiently Waiting-50 Cent Feat. Eminem

Can't Tell Me Nothing-Kanye West

Swagga Like Us (feat. Kanye West & Lil Wayne)-Jay-Z & T.I.

Beautiful-Akon, Colby O'Donis & Kardinal Offishall

Knock You Down-Keri Hilson, Kanye West & Ne-Yo

Say Hey (I Love You) [feat. Cherine Anderson]-Michael Franti & Spearhead

On that note, I'm going to think of my work-out goals this week. I evaulate this WEEKLY because you never know what is going to happen with your schedule. And it always helps to have something to focus on. If you didn't notice, my workout routine is on the right. --> This week I am focusing on getting 3x of weights in. What's your goal? Small steps=big changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment